Sticking Together In Adversity…
Adversity can make or break a couple – if they let it.
You’ve heard stories and seen movies about couples that go through adversity like caring for a sick family member over a long period of time or financial struggles and other seemingly insurmountable odds. The struggle was too much and they split up. Essentially, they were not able to stick together in adversity.
We’ve also heard opposite stories of couples banding together and becoming stronger as they weather the storm together.
Episode 39 – SHOW NOTES
What is the difference? What is their secret?
- Relationship with God – When we rely on God, we don’t have to shoulder the burden alone and feel the intense weight of it. It is important that we look to the One greater than ourselves.
- Look outward – When we go through struggle it’s tempting to look inward and think about how difficult times are and what we don’t have. In those times, we need to remember to look outward and see that others are going through a hard time, too. God will often ask us to help someone else when we are going through something difficult because he knows there is healing in it for us.
- Treat each other with kindness – Pain and discomfort often bring out the worst in our attitudes. It’s during times like this that we need to take a step back and have more patience with our loved ones, particularly or partners. It can be tempting to lash out with our words in a space that feels safe, but we need to remember that our significant other is most likely hurting as well and treat them with patience and kindness.
- Communication – We need to talk with our partners regularly to maintain an understanding of what we are feeling and what we need. Reach out and ask for help when necessary. Communication helps squelch added struggles that arise from lack of talking to each other.
- Equally yoked – Shoulder the burdens of the struggle together. Better yet, throw the burden on God’s shoulders and follow him together with your partner. God has the perfect plan for your life.
If you're going to stick together through adversity in your relationship or marriage, you will need to be following these tips -especially when it comes to being equally yoked.
What are some other strategies you have used that have helped you and your partner stick together during a struggle? Please leave a note in the comments below. Your message could help another couple in need.